Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Love Lost...

A question was posed on an e-group that I am a part of and it asked the timeless question: Is it better to have love and lost or to have never loved at all? My answer was brief but it speaks in the best terms that I know how, experience.

"I believe that it is better to love and lose. In fact, I would recommend loving and losing at least once before you elect to spend forever with your husband/wife. One thing that I have learned from being a recipient of heartbreak (and I have probably caused 1 or 2); is that the catharsis that you get from a broken heart is unlike anything else in life. The flurry of emotion that you go through, from anger to sadness to vindictiveness to even, sadly, the hardening of your heart to protect yourself, is part of what makes us the complex beings that we are. To never know the sting and depth of falling out of love is to never really experience the possibilities of its heights. Getting your heart broken is one of the worst feelings ever because you tend to shut down and convince yourself that you are going to be different to avoid that same outcome. This is unavoidable, but imagine what it feels like to change who you are, to protect who you must be, in order to avoid what MIGHT happen (again). Then ask yourself if its worth it."

Love.Lose.Change.Find.Love.

No comments: